Solving the Composition Conundrum
Tuesday 9:00 - 4:30 $145 Claudine Hellmuth July 30
Student Level: Beginner - Advanced
Type of Workshop: Process and Project - Project is not a replica of teacher’s examples, but rather of student's own design
We all know that having a balanced composition is the key to having a successful work of art. In Claudine’s lighthearted and fun teaching style you will learn the tricks of the trade to help you create successful compositions in your collage and mixed media artwork. Claudine will show you some her favorite composition tips and techniques for enhancing your art, then we'll create collages using our new composition knowledge!
Supplies provided by Instructor for us in class:
- Paints to share
- Paint brushes to use in class
- Some collage supplies to share
Students should bring:
- your favorite glue, this could be glue stick, gel medium or whatever you prefer to use.
- 3 or 4 art-making surfaces. These could be pre-stretched canvases, canvas board, or canvas paper, mattboard or watercolor paper. Please think small (about 5"x7" to 8"x10"). If you are traveling from a distance I suggest you bring a pad of canvas paper (I like to use Fredrix brand), you can find it in the aisle of the craft or art supply store where they keep the sketchpads. One pad of canvas paper has about 10 sheets in it.
- Elements for collage (papers, old photos color copies, b/w copies), we will do exercises in composition using collage materials. NOTE: Bring images in a variety of shapes and sizes. It's also good idea to bring images large enough to fill the canvas sizes you are bringing. It will help you have better composition if your images are large enough to fill 50% - 75% of your canvas surface.
- A small Ziploc baggie of collage papers for the class share pile