This is your chance to work on designing a special, and maybe your first prong set ring. Students will have the opportunity to explore several techniques on forming embellishments to adorn both the ring and the ring band (if choosing to use the low dome wire). Using metal stamps can also be a fun and easy way to add additional texture and added interest to both the front and back of a ring. Lastly, I will share my "lifted" technique, which will add a lovely dimension to your newest piece of finger art.
Kit/Materials Fee (payable to instructor at class time):
- $10.00 includes:
- Instructions & Optional Patterns
- Special Prong Setting Tool
- Solder & Flux
- Soldering Stations and set-up
- Pickle Pots
- Shot Plates
- Texture Hammers & Brass Mallets
- Metal Design Stamps
- Ring Mandrels
- Diamond Files
- Dremel Tool & Safety Glasses
Student should bring:
- Cab of your choice (the one I've used for the class sample picture measures 15mmx22mm and 6mm thick, with no backing. I would stay close to this size but it doesn't have to be triangular shaped).
- Sterling Silver Sheet, 22gauge, 6" x 3"
- Sterling Silver Round Wire, Dead Soft, 14 & 16gauge, 1-2'
- Sterling Silver Dead Soft Wire, 18gauge, approx.2'
- Wire for the Ring Band, length needed is determined by your ring size: (gauge ex. HERE)
- Pattern Wire, Dead Soft (ex. HERE or HERE or HERE) or Low Dome Wire, Dead Soft (ex. HERE or HERE)
- Jewelers Saw & Saw Blades (#2/0, but use whatever you like)
- Cut Lube
- Miter Cutter/Vise Jig (ex. HERE)
- Bench Pin & Clamp (ex. HERE)
- Planishing Hammer
- Rawhide Hammer or Nylon Mallet
- Metal Jewelry Files, #2 (half-round and/or flat)
- Needle Files (ex. HERE or HERE)
- Flush Cutters
- Pliers, Chain-Nose, Round-Nose, Flat-Nose, Flat/Half-Round Pliers (ex. HERE)
- Nylon Forming Pliers (ex. HERE)
- Steel Bench Block/Rubber Bench Block
- Bead Reamer (ex. HERE)
- Sanding Pads (ex. HERE or HERE) or 320 grit/fine sanding pads from Hobby Lobby or local hardware store
- Pro Polishing Pads (ex. HERE)
- Black Permanent Marker, Ultra-Fine
- Hole Punch Pliers, 1.25mm (ex. HERE) OR 4-hole Metal Punch (ex. HERE)
- Favorite Shot Plates/Brass Hammer
- Ring Clamp (ex. HERE)
- Utility Tweezers (ex. HERE)
- Sketch Paper, Pencil or Pen, Scissors (if desired to sketch design)
- Ruler or Measuring Device
- Battery Operated Work Light
- Ear Plugs & Optivisors (if needed)
- Personal Safety Glasses
Some workshops may require that you bring supplies or tools that you may not presently possess. If you'd like to place an advance order for jewelry supplies & tools for pick-up at the on-site Jewelry Supply store when you arrive at ARTU19, contact:
Please note that SJ Jewelry Supply has an extensive selection of products but not all of them may appear on their website. If in doubt about the availability of any product, a simple phone call will get you the information that you desire.
Email your order to: firstname.lastname@example.org