The idiom "Back in Black" refers to the fact that we will be starting from a black background! In this class, you will learn how to paint a whimsical, fun character using a variety of techniques and supplies. I will guide you to finding a style of face, body shape and a BUNCH of random things and creatures (think donuts, suckers, teacups and animals!) using your own vivid imagination, even if you think you don't have one! It does not matter if you are a beginner or a pro. This is a brand new class using a new line of paints that you may or may not have tried.
Kit/Materials Fee (payable to instructor at class time):
- None, but I will the sample sets available if you'd like.
Student should bring:
- Pencil and paper to sketch on as a warm up
- A few pieces of white or cream cardstock
- Brushes - small liner, medium liner, small filbert, medium filbert, other brushes that you like
- Paper Artsy Fresco Finish Paints (you can get these at Ephemera Paducah (email address: Kristin@ephemerapaducah.com I have combined my favorite colors into several sets that she keeps in stock)) - These are the base colors I use: Nougat, Blush, Rose, Snowflake, Midnight, Toffee. For the rest of the project: any other colors that appeal to you.
- Small bottle of cheap Black Craft paint (I like Blick Matte Acrylic or Ceramacoat). Please have your board already painted black with this paint (see below).
- Something to paint on: 10" x 10": Cradled wood board is my favorite. The Blick brand is inexpensive and great quality. Bring 2 if you are typically a fast painter. Please have it already painted black with your cheap craft paint.
- White Stabilo All Pencil
- Metal Awl (for drawing into wet paint)
- Gel Medium and an old brush
- A variety of text from old books, paper napkins, small digital art or any paper ephemera that catches your eye. I typically use a lot of ready-to-use (made by me) Gelli printed papers
- Gel Pens: Black and white for detailing (I like the Gelly Roll or the Signo Uni-Ball)
- I will have a few small sample sets of my favorite colors available to purchase.
- Since most people already have Golden Fluid Acrylics and they work well with the Frescos, you can bring any colors that you like and already have.
Some workshops may require that you bring supplies or tools that you may not presently possess. If you'd like to place an advance order for jewelry supplies & tools for pick-up at the on-site Jewelry Supply store when you arrive at ARTU19, contact:
Please note that SJ Jewelry Supply has an extensive selection of products but not all of them may appear on their website. If in doubt about the availability of any product, a simple phone call will get you the information that you desire.
Email your order to: firstname.lastname@example.org