This is by far my favorite class to teach
Construction. In this class we get to bask in the richness of tangible
construction along with self-observation and ... of course pens,
pencils and crayons. I don't know any other way to describe the
journey of Art Journaling. This two-day class is meant to alter your
view of your life and at the same time help you discover a new way
of finding a daily meditation that brings a sense of peace and order
to our crazy lives. Our theme for the class will be the Adventures in
Oz. The journal you will learn to make has a hardcover with
collage and has sewn signatures using a double coptic stitch. We
will have fun playing with a variety of tools and materials and you
will be an expert with a dremmel by day's end. This journal will be
your new companion so we will jump right in and begin to fill it. At
the end of the first day, we will pause from our journal making,
and begin your first drawings with a lesson on strengthening your
artist's eye, as well as how to have a little fun with watercolors.
Application. None of us use just one hemisphere or the other. There
is flow between them. They have 2 different ways of thinking that
work together to help us navigate. One is not better than the other
but by knowing what your natural preference is you can pay
attention to your less dominant side to improve the same. For most
of us our right side is a little out of shape. Realistic drawing is a
great way to focus on muscles in that area of the brain and get them
stronger. For some realist drawing can be a little challenging at first
but like any new skill you learn the fundamentals then it is up to
you to practice, practice, practice. The skill will come quickly and is
oddly satisfying. Even the most hesitant artist will leave this class
with a new confidence in realistic drawing. We will also play with
exercises that wake up the stuck-creative muscle that plagues all of
us on occasion. Skills learned in this class will open the door to a
lifetime of your own handmade personal journals and daily
creative exercises. Your book will travel the world with you.
Kit/Materials Fee (payable to instructor at class time):
- $40.00 includes:
- all paper, covers, threads and tools needed to construct the book.
Student should bring:
- Please take a moment to watch a couple of TED talks before class.
- Psychiatrist Iain McGilchrist describes the real differences between the left and right halves of the human brain. It's not simply "emotion on the right, reason on the left," but something far more complex and interesting. Click here. A Best of the Web talk from RSA Animate.
- Studies show that sketching and doodling improve our comprehension - and our creative thinking. So why do we still feel embarrassed when we're caught doodling in a meeting? Sunni Brown says: Doodlers, unite! Click here. She makes the case for unlocking your brain via pad and pen.
- Here are some sources for the supplies:
- Favorite Pen:
- Watercolor set:
- I sell high-end tube watercolors in Vintage tins from Belgium ($45-$70).
- Nice quality travel set on Amazon: Click here.
- Mechanical Pencil
- Don't buy a $2 mech. pencil. You want good lead. (HB .5) If you want to splurge and get a sexy pencil...Click here.
- I'll bring enough prismacolor pencils if you let me know you want one.
- I nice little bag to carry it in (old makeup bag).
- Don't stress about supplies. I'll have several things to purchase or you can borrow mine when you're practicing doing the art part.
Some workshops may require that you bring supplies or tools that you may not presently possess. If you'd like to place an advance order for jewelry supplies & tools for pick-up at the on-site Jewelry Supply store when you arrive at ARTU19, contact:
Please note that SJ Jewelry Supply has an extensive selection of products but not all of them may appear on their website. If in doubt about the availability of any product, a simple phone call will get you the information that you desire.
Email your order to: firstname.lastname@example.org