** We will be experimenting with a variety of products and textures. Beginners will learn about new products and techniques, advanced students will learn new ways to work with products that they may already be familiar with. Beginner bookmakers will learn a basic bookbinding stitch, more advanced book binders can use other more complicated stitches.
In this workshop you will create this sweet sturdy book that is made entirely out of canvas & embellishments. You will learn basic bookbinding skills, and we will experiment with texture gels, gesso, plaster, molding paste & ink to create fabulous backgrounds & pages. The book starts out at approximately 5 x 7 inches, but can be much larger after we add embellishments. The canvas pages make it a hardy, durable book that can travel far & survive your most adventurous trips. We will fill it with secret compartments & pockets, perfect for your souvenirs & writing, providing a safe place to keep your writing that you may not want to share with the world. I love to show off my art journals, but I find that this sometimes prevents me from writing all that I want to say. Now you can write your heart out & still have a gorgeous art book to show to your friends!
This is an fun, intense class with multiple steps, techniques & supplies A whole lot of love & work goes into this book, but you will leave with gorgeous art book that will be treasured for years to come.
”** We will be experimenting with a variety of products and textures. Beginners will learn about new products and techniques, advanced students will learn new ways to work with products that they may already be familiar with. Beginner bookmakers will learn a basic bookbinding stitch, more advanced book binders can use other, more complicated stitches.
Kit/Materials Fee (payable to instructor at class time):
- $20.00 includes:
- waxed linen thread
- textured mesh
- waxed paper
- lace & ephemera
- use of instructors hand carved stamps, tools & other consumables.
Student should bring:
- Please read the supply list NOW and collect your supplies early. You may have to order some things online, so please allow plenty of time for this. I do not sell extra supplies in class. You may not be able to complete the project in class if you do not bring what is listed on the supply list. If you have trouble finding anything, or if you have any questions, please contact me at least two weeks prior to class at email@example.com.
- CANVAS 36 x 41 inches, unstretched, unprimed. (usually sold by the roll or yard) Dick Blick Click here! It doesn't have to be expensive canvas, but the thicker, the better. IMPORTANT- PLEASE GESSO BOTH SIDES OF THE CANVAS BEFORE COMING TO CLASS. Gesso the canvas yourself & do not buy the primed canvas, this makes a big difference in the way the canvas reacts to the ink. You can tear the canvas in half (36 x 20 1/2) for packing purposes, but please do not tear any smaller. I purchase my canvas at my local art supply store that sells it by the yard, but you can also find it here...Click here!
- WHITE GESSO at least 6 oz. Utrecht Artists' Acrylic Gesso, White, Medium Bodied. www.dickblick.com
- CRAFTERS PICK, THE ULTIMATE GLUE 8 oz. bottle. Click here! This glue is best for this project, please, no substitutes.
- ACRYLIC PAINT- A few of your favorite colors. I am in love with the these chalk paints, available online or at Michaels- Americana Decor Chalky Finish, Click here!
- SEVERAL INEXPENSIVE BRUSHES TO APPLY PAINT & GLUE, small & medium size, & a PALETTE KNIFE
- A BOOKBINDERS AWL, a BONE FOLDER, a 12" METAL RULER, a PENCIL with an ERASER
- APRON, RAGS & LOTS OF SCRAP PAPER
- SEWING SCISSORS
- FIBER PASTE Click here!
- LACE, FABRIC, OR ANY OTHER SPECIAL MATERIAL THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD TO YOUR BOOK.
- EITHER...VENETIAN PLASTER Click here!. I've only found this sold by the gallon, you will only need about 8 oz.
- OR MOLDING PASTE Click here! Please bring only one, either Venetian Plaster or molding paste, since they are very similar. The plaster is less expensive but the initial investment is higher since it is only sold by the gallon.
- ADIRONDACK RE-INKERS DYE INK (NOT ALCOHOL INK) 2 or 3 bottles of your favorite colors. These inks have been discontinued by Ranger, but you may be able to find them online through a Google search. If you can find them, grab whatever you can, they are wonderful!
- EXTRA FIBERS & BEADS FOR THE SPINE some are included in your class kit, but if you would like to add your own, please bring them.
- WAXED LINEN THREAD I provide a neutral color in your kit, if you'd like another color, please bring it.
- ANY OTHER ACRYLIC TEXTURE GELS THAT YOU LOVE Golden makes a wide variety of texture mediums, including micaceous oxide, pumice & tar gel.
- A CRAFT HEAT GUN From a craft store, not an industrial type heat gun from a hardware store. This is optional, but very useful for this class.
- STENCILS & RUBBER STAMPS I bring plenty to share, but feel free to bring your favorites.
Some workshops may require that you bring supplies or tools that you may not presently possess. If you'd like to place an advance order for jewelry supplies & tools for pick-up at the on-site Jewelry Supply store when you arrive at ARTU19, contact:
Please note that SJ Jewelry Supply has an extensive selection of products but not all of them may appear on their website. If in doubt about the availability of any product, a simple phone call will get you the information that you desire.
Email your order to: firstname.lastname@example.org